Thursday, July 2, 2009

Shipping Containers and Alpacas

Inside the Brackets previously posted about the Midnight Moon Alpaca Ranch project (click here and scroll down). In all probability, MMAR is to be the first alpaca ranch made from shipping containers (ISBUs, to be exact).

[1016] Architecture recently made some good progress on the main house design for the ranch.

  • This design is made of (3) 8' x 40' High Cube (HC) containers, and the owner wants the containers to be visible on the exterior.
  • The decks, stairs, and curved metal roof are all additional parts, but can be disassembled in order to be reused should that become necessary.
  • The building will be sited to take advantage of summer/winter sun angle differences to promote energy savings and daylighting.
  • The result... not your typical midwestern agricultural building, for sure.
Here is an animation of the main house design in progress:



There is still a lot of work to be done before this becomes reality, and eventually Inside the Brackets will bring you updates on the planned barn and guest cottages for the property.

Visit the Midnight Moon Alpaca Ranch site here.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the architecture of this shipping containers home I have been seeing more and more pop up it I have been researching this myself seams like it would save on building cost and materials. I was reading an article about how a lot of shipping port have old storage containers just laying around the ports not even being used. I'm not sure if you have the containers already, but if you could try call them or I found that mobile mini provides different size of containers you might want to get them a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nate. We will keep that info in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy,
    thanks for visiting my Blog. I love your animation of the shipping container hose and it's a brilliant design. Iwould like to see the house when finished. It's such a fabulous idea and I do really want to build one myself - one day, when I get the time and the land!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kate. We'll try to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.